This one had alot of steps, so I’m breaking it into 2 parts.
This half of the installment will focus on the figure.
I did all the linework in one step this time. Usually I use different layers for thicker and thinner lines, but I knew it was going to have a lot going on in the background. I decided to focus on using alot of solid black to push the figure farther into the foreground, and to keep the linework more simple.
I did the reds as their own step this time because I wanted to experiment with a limited color pallate.
Seeing the stark red made it easy to fill in the other colors without overpowering the red as the primary focus.
Solid coloring for the skin, paintbrush, and paintbucket.
Subtle shading on the face (click through to the full view on this one).
Some more extreme highlights and shading. Without the background in place it was hard to tell if replicating such directional looking light was going to work for or against me. It’s especially odd that I chose to do this in a shot that’s supposed to be outside, but I think it worked in my favor.
Details on the clothing and hair. I almost thought better of the skeleton on the hoodie because I’ve done alot of drawings playing with anatomy in the past, but I actually wear a skeleton hoodie all the time lately so I figured it was okay. I added highlights on the clothes to give them more shape, as they looked totally flat before (and I had used so much highlighting on the face that I had to make them match.
It was at this point that I also discovered that I had no hair & I remedied that.
Tomorrow we’ll talk about the background!