the great helvetica challenge

flightskoolsociety.com and thisisstar.com go head to head in a helvetica-off.

the challenge: using only Helvetica Black 72 point, 14 point, and 6 point, and color, create visual interest only using the dummy type "lorem ipsum"

For the purposes of fairness, we will be voting blind.
We’ll let you know tomorrow who designed what!

vote in the comments for the one you like best! (LEFT, or RIGHT)
Voting ends tomorrow (Tuesday) at 12 pm PST.

update:

VOTING IS NOW CLOSED.

We will tally now!

1. aimee says:

i vote for the one on the middle!

Yes, that one is clearly the best. 🙂

3. Ashe Mischief says:

This is quite hard, as they’re both very nicely designed, and I equally like them for different reasons.

That being said, the one on the LEFT captures my interest and attention much more than the one on the right.

4. Dan Garcia says:

The one on the left grabs my attention first, but the one on the right holds it – i think i might have to go with the right.

5. Jami says:

LEFT, absolutely. Love the colors, it grabs attention and has interesting shapes.

6. Reed says:

Left.

The one on the right is prettier, and much more interesting to look at over time and think about. Personally, I “like” it better.

But the stated goal of the contest is to “create visual interest,” and the one on the left grabs me much more viscerally. It doesn’t seem to know what to do with me once it’s got me, but it if you define “creat(ing) visual interest” as making me stop on the street and look closer, the left one’s the pick.

7. I vote left. Strong and clear, but sophisticated. I do like the right one as well, but it’s a little harder to follow. Plus I have a weakness for stars, and the asterix on the left one just makes me happy. Awesome contest, and I hope you do something like this again! *

8. Mace says:

I like them both. If I was going for a quick grab, I’d say the left one, but for extended viewing, I’m going with the right.

So overall? I’m going for the pretty green one.

9. The one on the right. The slash detracts from the left’s design, while the fading repetition works well for the right.

Though it would depend on what they’re used for; the left would certainly get one’s attention from farther away, while the right is a more pleasing design overall.

10. Leanne says:

RIGHT 🙂

11. Marie says:

In the words of the great Beyonce Knowles, “To the left, to the left”

12. dawn says:

right. More depth, more to look at.

13. Left gets my immediate vote.

Though if I was going to stop and read something then Right would be the one to make me do that. Left is prettier though and something I would steal and put on my wall.

14. Pawleen says:

riiiight~

15. Ian says:

The LEFT one is more striking, although both parties clearly brought their A game…

16. MegabyteMike says:

LEFT

Mainly due to the color contrasts and the white-noise-ness of the diagonal words.

The right just looks a bit off for me with the position of the O in relationship to the connected L and R. Reminds me a bit of the old retro velcro packaging.

17. SP says:

Right – Left looks good, but it’s been done. Right looks engaging and unique.

18. Morgan Marcani says:

Left.

19. Britas says:

I vote for the right (the green one!)

20. sous says:

right. the white slash on the left is too distracting to me.

21. liz says:

right, all the way

22. nicoles says:

The one on the left is a more impactful design. It commands interest in a way that the one on the right doesn’t. If they were both ads, you’d read the left one first. If they were album covers though, you’d prefer the one on the right.

23. edrabbit says:

I’m going to vote for the black+red one on the left

24. Cairo says:

Right.

25. elena says:

left. more striking.

26. […] happened both on this blog post, and on Aimee’s flickr page. And the tally was closed at 15 votes […]

27. I found a link to your site on google, and I must say ;P Your blog is way better.