Friends, it brings me great pleasure to bring you the first real videoblog post on thisisstar.com!

I’m hoping to share a whole lot more of this kind of thing whenever I can find the time to edit it. 🙂

Here’s some footage of my epic holiday weekend on the playa a little while ago.
If you click through to vimeo, you can even watch it in HD.

4th of Juplaya from Star St.Germain on Vimeo.

Music is by my friend, Brian Saia, and you can download the whole album for free right here if you like it. Thanks to Pat for helping me get the motion graphics cranked out.

Also, a side note….Comic Book Tattoo appears to only be available on Amazon today….but in stores next wednesday.
I’ll be letting y’all know more info when I have it.

1. Ameya says:

Hi, long time lurker here – great video! It’s beautiful! I wish I had a video camera so badly. D:

2. Marie says:

That was awesome! I loved the music too. Purrrfect.

3. Colin says:

Overall, nicely edited and good choice in music. As a visual montage of memories, it is lovely.

I passed it on to my Mom who’s response was “it almost like not being there in person. But sparkly nonetheless.” I must say, her statement hit upon my main criticism of the it.

Personally, I feel that the video is like a jelly bean, a small dose of wonderful that is a pleasure to savor. It remarkably mimics the flavor of the event and memories of the real thing burst forth upon rumination; however, for those who do not know the flavor of the playa it is only a pleasant bit of sparkly sweetness that they can’t connect to.

Now this is not a harsh criticism as describing the playa experience is a difficult task and few are ever really successful — especially at only four and a half minutes. Though you may gotten a bit closer to this goal if you included more people talking.

This brings me to my second criticism: it is the people that really make this event what it is and I had hoped to see more of them and their interesting nature. Instead it felt too often that the people only served as backdrops to the visual action.

I hope you take my criticism for what it is: an attempt to add some thoughts in order to build upon what you have accomplished, and hopefully to give you thoughts that may enrich your future experiments in this medium.

4. ashleigh says:

Oh Crap! That was awesome!!!

I for one, greatly enjoyed watching this video and connect to the ideas and memories of my own sacred spaces, events and places.

(must.start.saving.to.go.to.burningman.09.)

5. Wow, that was amazing. Perfectly set to the music.
    I get scared of fireworks and fire in general if it’s too close to me but it still made me want to see it for real!

6. Lydia says:

(hi from random reader)

great video, I’ve been wanting to check out 4th of juplaya for a number of years but never made it… still debating whether or not to go to the main event this year. thanks for sharing your experience. Also, I’d love to download the album but the link is broken!

Lydia- Link is fixed! thanks!

8. MooP says:

As one of the folks that built the ghost town of DISMAL which vanished in the flames and explosions, the video brought tears and cinders to my eyes…I had to wear goggles to get through the thing- way ta go!