I’ve been actively taking cell phone pictures and sharing them for a few years now, starting with the remnants series back in 2009, and of course on photo sharing sites like instagram and flickr.
I’ve found myself inspired by my friends and acquaintances who have tried to push themselves to create better and better things using their phones (DocPop and Kris Atomic come to mind) by using in camera apps to make their photos extra awesome.
Now that it’s been a while, I feel like I’ve managed to start taking some pretty awesome shots. More importantly, I’ve managed to take and post photos I’m proud of on a regular basis.
I’ve struggled with what to do with this content, and for a long time I’ve just shuttled all my photos off to tumblr/flickr/facebook & called it done. But I’ve grown dissatisfied with this, so I want to see if I can make this bunch of photos into a weekly roundup of sorts- in the hopes that it helps me to take more/better photos. Also, there’s the added bonus of having a record of every week- and more regular blog updates. Here’s hoping I can stick with it?
1. The mirror in the bathroom at the El Rio. I had gone to watch my ladyfriend compete in the Go Deep lube wrestling series. She had one win and one loss, respectively. A ton of people were yelling at me to hurry up while I took this photo, which was nearly impossible to get in focus in the low light. These things take time.
2. I walk by this gate most every day, as it is very near to my house. I’ve almost taken this photo more times than I can count, but for some reason held off until now. I’m glad I did.
3. The rain and cold has been dreadful this winter! I say this, of course, completely betraying my New England roots. It is far colder back east, and my family has not let me forget it.
The drops stick to the panes and shimmer like glitter, and as I sit shivering in my drafty house, I almost think it’s worth it.
4. This was, in fact, a mighty fine sunset.
5. My band played a show during Art Murmur at the Moco Gallery. The bathroom was down the block, behind a gate and up a flight of stairs. It required 3 keys to get into. Luckily when I got there I not only got to pee, but was also greeted by this delightful retro wallpaper. All the voices in my head agreed that the print looked like panties.
6. Oh man do ginko leaves make me happy! When they shed themselves basically all at once and the entire block is full of yellow awesomeness? Best ever. It is my own tiny San Francisco version of New England fall foliage.
7. I’ve always wanted a red Kit Kat Clock, so I clearly had to snap a picture of this one. I like how he looks extra janky and weird because the HDR setting on my phone made the right eyeball double expose a little.
8. This display in the Accident & Artifact window made me swoon. I hope it makes you swoon too!
To see more of these images, as I post them, follow me on Instagram!