Yesterday was my 31st birthday.
Here I am, surrounded by dahlias, squinting into the sun.
The past few years have been brutal but rewarding.
Both 29 and 30 started with health problems, and I was nervous that this year I was headed for a Hat Trick. I’m pleased to say that this year I wasn’t sick on my birthday for the first year in a few.
This past year I’ve become a much better designer & developer, and this month marks a whole year of working for myself. Looking back over the projects I’ve worked on, I’m really excited by the things I’ve been able to accomplish in such a short time.
This past year I:
- + Supported myself by designing and developing work I’m proud of for a long and robust client list.
- + Art Directed a major comics festival.
- + Instructed a course for students between 9th and 10th grade on how to make comics at California College of the Arts.
- + Worked with lots and lots of awesome people on equally awesome projects.
- + Wrote a bunch of new music, including a soundtrack for a mobile 8bit cloud.
- + Made a new horror comic with my friend Jeremy.
- + Spoke on panels and gave talks at a couple different conferences, and attended a few more.
- + Launched a new studio with my friend Shauna.
I hope I can get better at keeping you all in the loop on what I’m doing. I just finished a whole ton of projects that I haven’t gotten to show you yet- and I’m excited to have the time to share it in the upcoming months.
Here’s to another year, and the hope that things will only get more awesome.